Client profile – Inventor of novel Low Vacuum Plasma processing to impart a hydrophobic film on virtually any substrate.
We were approached by our client to develop a multipurpose plasma deposited coating with the capability of being applied on an array of potential applications, especially pertinent to a host of applications in the electronics sector.
Description of the advance in science or technology that was being sought
List of the scientific or technological uncertainties faced
- Was it technically possible to utilise the Vacuum Plasma Deposition equipment to impart the correct type of materials to give the properties/effects we wanted to achieve?
- Physical Properties : We had to determine through trial and error and subsequent testing, whether and how consistently and uniformly if possible, the required films would be deposited.
- Chemical Properties : It was unknown whether the subsequent coatings produced would impart the substrates used with the kinds of useful properties for industrial applications or across the breadth of variants encountered in the electronics sector.
Description of work carried out in order to resolve the uncertainties
- corrosion testing,
- solder through testing,
- multiple passes through reflow evens
- contact angle hydrophobicity
- abrasion resistance
- adhesion to a variety of different substrates